Monday, March 23, 2009

oOo - A photographer's eye


oOo, originally uploaded by Davide Cherubini.

If you read my last post, you'll remember about my photo-walk in Old Delhi with some photography enthusiasts. Well something happened.

I was loaded with the minimum in terms of equipment - Nikon D40x with kit lens (18-55 mm). Others had better lenses, or cameras, and one guy was even carrying a tripod (though he never used it). As expected talk turned to equipment once, with someone saying how Canon lenses are the best etc. I didn't contribute to the discussion, because even though discussing equipment and gadgets excites me a lot, photography is an expensive hobby, and I've even met someone once who had an annual budget of Rs 2,00,000 for photography stuff.

While all this talk was going around, I was still thinking about how bad I had fared in terms of good shots that day, and none of it was because I lacked good equipment (OK, a high aperture zoom lens would have been awesome, but mostly it was my inability to compose nicely). I was mentally arguing this person that when I see a photograph, I can never say "Oh this would have been better if it was shot with a Canon instead of Sigma lens".

And then I came across this photograph of parked bikes. Look at the entire photostream of Davide Cherubini, and watch how he can take so many creative shots of "just bikes". We exchanged comments, and in his words:

"...fully agree with you, eye and composition first equipment after."
This reinforced what I had been thinking. I am not limited in my capabilities because I carry around a kit lens. Nobody is. I can take really awesome shots like this one with the lens I carry - that's what I intend to do.

By the way, this photograph made it to Flickr's homepage. Way to go, Davide!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for citing me on this interesting article. I started to take potographs at the age of 13 and I've spent almost all my life carrying heavy and large bag for all my photographic equipment. Then I got tired and I stopped to take pictures for some years but now digital era revolutioned my idea of photography. I was aware of the fact that a good compact camera makes me free from equipment and gives me the opportunity to concentrate on the subject and the composition of the image. With the compact in my pocket my eyes look much better and with much attention to details, light, subjects around me and with some basic postproduction steps I can always compensate some camera faults.

Adi said...

Glad you took time to comment on this article, Davide. I am certainly going to follow your lead and focus on taking good photographs than worry about equipment.