Thursday, May 7, 2009

Civil Services results out: That time of the year again!

Yup, it is that time of the year again. Twice a year when newspapers report on CAT and UPSC exam results, I have to "defend" my decision of not wanting to break my back slogging for these "lucrative" courses. It is a well established bi-annual ritual at my home. Moreover, its not just my parents I need to explain. On such mornings when everyone is reading the same reports in the newspapers, some of my concerned relatives call up my mom, discuss the reports (and the effect it ought to have on me).

This year things became more interesting. Consider the similarities between this year's topper of UPSC (Shubhra Saxena) and me:
  • Both residents of Indirapuram, Ghaziabad
  • Both graduates of IIT, Roorkee
  • Both ex-employees of Oracle (Hyderabad)!
See the pattern? Just when I thought the ritual is fading away, Fate was quietly slipping the Lead into the glove (quoting Wodehouse).

Anyway, with no CAT or IAS results due for several months, I can hope my new business will take off and I won't have to defend my career choice any more. :) (Though I will always have some other stuff to defend, from hair style to marriage plans!).

0 comments: