Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Meeting a Miracle Man

Of late I've been getting into discussions about recession, politics and all that's wrong with this world. In fact, looking at the news channels it seems everything is moving towards doom! Then, last Friday, I met a Miracle Man.

Faizal (fictitious name) is a good looking, well educated young man, working in a call center. About nine months ago he was hit by a speeding cab and thrown about 70-80 feet away on the road. His injuries were not just external; he went into a coma that lasted a whole 45 days. He needed a couple of rods inserted in his left leg to support badly fractured bones. He suffered partial amnesia. Bed-ridden for eight months, he developed a severe case of bedsore.

Finally, at the end of eight months of suffering, this young man walked unsupported into the hospital one day for a checkup, and his doctor couldn't believe it. It was a miracle that this man is almost normal - when doctors had feared the worst for him. While he was in coma, the doctors couldn't say when he would come back, and didn't know whether the damage to his brain would let him lead a normal life (he could have been paralysed or blind or anything like that). And here he was, sitting in the same bus as me heading to Bangalore, and telling some of us his story.

In black and white
I'm sure we've all heard such stories of miracle come-backs from some tragic accident or medical condition (I'm a huge fan of "Its not about the bike" by Lance Armstrong). But very few of us actually meet someone who's gone through such a time. Meeting this man made me realise (once again?) how lame and petty it is to talk about things that have gone bad in politics, economics, sports, at work or at home. Its good to be ambitious and want the best for oneself, but then how often do we take a moment to tell ourselves that we have a great life?

As I write this I'm telling myself I won't watch news channels for any more bad news, and before I go to bed every night I'll remind myself that I have an AWESOME life. :)

Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments: