Monday, November 16, 2009

Tobacco is injurious to health

I was watching an interesting movie on HBO at night, and I saw a long advertisement about throat and oral cancer. There's a doctor talking about the cancer and visuals show sickening images of victims. The ad runs for quite a while (more than 30 seconds I think) and the last visual says "Stop Chewing Tobacco: Tobacco causes cancer" (or something to that effect).

Interesting things to note: The advertisement message in the end is in English, and is being shown to viewers of HBO at 10 pm in the night. Now I don't want to sound class-conscious here, but ad-slots cost money (comes from us tax payers), and I have great doubts about this advertisement's target audience the way it ran.

Shouldn't it have been on other channels and in local languages where most people watching it are likely tobacco consumers? HBO or Travel & Living has a different kind of viewership! But who cares - the Govt. has enough money to waste!

P.S. This is out of tune of the general theme of content that comes to this blog, but its been a long time since I blogged here, so anything goes!

0 comments: